Thursday, September 24, 2009

Sample letter Asking Judge for Leniency for a First Time Offense

An example plea letter to a Judge to consider an early release for a first time offender.


Dear Honorable Judge Harris,

My name is Aisha Thomas. My son's name is Isaiah Wallace Thomas. He is a dutiful husband and loving father to his two children- Mia and Isaac. For the last six years my son has missed out on my grandchildren's birthdays and Christmases among many other things. Because my son is languishing in prison for a non-violent, first-time drug offense.

He has been sentence to 12 years for being caught driving a vehicle with drugs. He has tested negative for drugs, he is not a user. He was involved in a gang distributing and dealing illegal substances of which he deeply regrets.

My son Isaiah has never denied his responsibility for the criminal offense committed. He has served half his sentence, displayed good behavior and conduct while under prison confines. He has earned certificates in automotive repair and maintenance under the prison rehabilitation programme. He is looking to better himself by learning skills that could help him raise his family in the hope of an early release. My son has done so much to improve his life inspite of imprisonment. Please give my grandchildren hope that they may live with their father again. They love him so much that these young children only dream to be reunited with Isaiah.

I have faith that the right course of action will be considered by the justice system.

Thank you for considering this request for leniency.

Sincerely,
Aisha Thomas

No comments: