Sunday, May 15, 2016

Cultural Letter

Hello All,

I am very much delighted to come back to Thailand to serve as the Director-General of the Japan Foundation, Bangkok, following my past duty as the Assistant Director of the same office from 1999 – 2004.

My absence in a twelve-year cycle is long enough to feel myself as a stranger in Thailand and I need to devote myself to relearn Thai language as well as its arts and culture so that I can be welcomed to join the wonderful community again.

I sense, during my absence, that the “contemporariness” in Thailand has been drastically changed and it is reflected onto a plethora of artistic practices and academic endeavors by promising Thai artists, creators and scholars. I do hope to catch up such vivid and sharp senses of contemporariness by exploring as many performances, exhibitions, film screenings, discussions and symposia as possible in Thailand, and hope to introduce Japanese cutting-edge arts and ideas by return for distinguished Thai partners and friends.

Working for Japanese-language education as well as Japan studies is also one of my most anticipated activities in Thailand. The boom of Thai tourism visiting Japan favors our activities in this field. I sincerely hope that we can provide efficient supports and services, in cooperation with Japanese language / Japan experts and Nihongo Partners, for those who are interested in Japanese language, as well as in academic pursuits on Japan, effectively associated with respected fellow partners and organizations.

I am looking forward to meeting you to enhance our bilateral relations together in cultural affairs very soon.

Norihiko Yoshioka
Director-General
The Japan Foundation, Bangkok

No comments: